The Spring Hill College women's tennis team (1-1, 1-1 GCAC) dropped an important early season conference match to the University of Mobile by the score of 6-3 on Tuesday afternoon. The Rams avenged a 5-4 loss to the Lady Badgers last week.
As in last week's match, the Lady Badgers were down 2-1 following the doubles matches as Catherine Thames and Allison Symulevich fell to Josey Soares and Claudia Borges 8-3 in the No. 1 match. Paige Malone and Abbey Angelle were topped by Mobile's Mayra Leal and Pam Boykin in an 8-6 decision at the No. 2 court. SHC teammates Lynne Fritscher and Alex Tovar took the No. 3 match with an 8-1 decision over Michelle Machen and Camilla Houden.
Unlike last week, the Lady Badgers failed to respond in the singles matches losing on four of the six courts. Symulevich and Malone lost the Nos. 1 and 2 matches to Soares and Borges, No. 3 Angelle, and No. 4 Tovar won their matches while No. 5 Fritscher and No. 6 Gina Pambianchi each fell in their match ups.
1. Josey Soares (UM) def. Allison Symulevich (SHC); 6-1, 6-0
2. Claudia Borges (UM) def. Paige Malone (SHC); 6-2, 6-2
3. Abbey Angelle (SHC) def. Pam Boykin (UM); 3-2 (retiring)
4. Alex Tovar (SHC) def. Michelle Machen (UM); 6-2, 6-1
5. Mayra Leal (UM) def. Lynne Fritscher (SHC); 6-4, 6-3
6. Camilla Houden (UM) def. Gina Pambianchi (SHC); 6-1, 7-6(3)
1. Soares and Borges (UM) def. Thames and Symulevich (SHC); 8-3
2. Leal and Boykin (UM) def. Malone and Angelle (SHC); 8-6
3. Fritscher and Tovar (SHC) def. Machen and Camilla Houden (UM); 8-1