The Spring Hill College women's tennis team defeated the University of Mobile by the score of 5-4 in a conference match at the Mobile Tennis Center on Wednesday afternoon.
The Lady Badgers were down 2-1 following the doubles matches as Abbey Angelle and Allison Symulevich fell to Josey Soares and Claudia Borges 8-5 in the No. 1 match. Paige Malone and Catherine Thames were topped by Mobile's Mayra Leal and Pam Boykin in an exciting 9-7 decision at the No. 2 court. SHC teammates Lynne Fritscher and Alex Tovar then salvaged the No. 3 match with an 8-3 decision over Michelle Machen and Ashley Hall.
With their backs against the wall, the Lady Badgers (1-0, 1-0 GCAC) responded by taking four of the six singles matches to pull out the victory. Despite Symulevich and Thames losing the Nos. 1 and 2 matches to Soares and Borges, No. 3 Malone, No. 4 Angelle, No. 5 Tovar and No. 6 Fritscher each found ways to win and secured the team victory.
Following the match, Spring Hill coach Hans Laub said, "I'm extremely proud of the way our ladies responded to the pressure of being down 2-1 after the doubles matches. They were very focused and pulled out a big win for us."
1. Josey Soares (UM) def. Allison Symulevich (SHC); 6-0, 6-1
2. Claudia Borges (UM) def. Catherine Thames (SHC); 6-0, 6-1
3. Paige Malone (SHC) def. Mayra Leal (UM); 6-3, 6-0
4. Abbey Angelle (SHC) def. Pam Boykin (UM); 6-1, 6-2
5. Alex Tovar (SHC) def. Ashley Hall (UM); 6-2, 6-1
6. Lynne Fritscher (SHC) def. Michelle Machen (UM); 6-2, 6-1
1. Soares and Borges (UM) def. Angelle and Symulevich (SHC); 8-5
2. Leal and Boykin (UM) def. Malone and Thames (SHC); 9-7
3. Fritscher and Tovar (SHC) def. Machen and Camilla Houden (UM); 8-3