On Thursday, the Spring Hill College men's tennis team scored a major upset and wrote its name into the history books of SHC athletics by taking a 5-4 road win over the University of Mobile for the first Badger men's win over the Rams since Mobile reinstituted the program in the 2007-08 season.
Spring Hill opened the match by taking a 2-1 lead after doubles action due mainly to two hotly contested wins on the No. 2 and No. 3 courts.
In singles play, the Badgers and Rams split 3-3 giving Spring Hill the match. While the Rams controlled the action on courts 2 and 3, sophomore Colin Perry of UMS-Wright Prep (6-0, 6-0) took Court 1, freshman Jacob Neu (6-0, 6-0) of Lafayette, La., cruised to victory on Court 5 and sophomore Josh Schultz (6-2, 6-2) from Niceville, Fla., pounded out a Court 6 winner.
1. Colin Perry (SHC) def. Lucas Martins (UM); 6-0, 6-0
2. Guilherme Lorencon (UM) def. Burke DeFraites (SHC); 6-1, 6-0
3. Enzo Correa (UM) def. Mike Logan (SHC); 6-1, 6-0
4. Jesus Urmeneta (UM) def. Chris Link (SHC); 5-7, 6-2 (3-0, default)
5. Jacob Neu (SHC) def. Billy Musgrove (UM); 6-0, 6-0
6. Josh Schultz (SHC) def. Clint Key (UM); 6-2, 6-2
1. Urmeneta/Correa (UM) def. Logan/Link (SHC); 8-5
2. Neu/Perry (SHC) def. Lorencon/Martins (UM); 8-5
3. Schultz/DeFraites (SHC) def. Musgrove/Key (UM); 8-5
Spring Hill (4-10, 1-3 SSAC West) will next host the University of New Orleans at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Center on Saturday at 10 a.m. followed by a match with Loyola University (La.) at 2 p.m. at the University of Mobile Tennis Courts.