On Thursday afternoon, the Spring Hill College women's tennis team kept their hopes of securing a spot in the NAIA National Championship Tournament alive with a 6-3 win at the University of Mobile.
As a host team of the National Tournament held annually at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Complex, SHC must win the season series over the University of Mobile and finish with no worse than a break-even regular season record to qualify.
Thursday's win gave the Badgers a 2-0 record versus Mobile this season and currently the ladies hold a 6-8 overall record with the two final matches of the year to be played this Saturday.
1. L. Fritscher/ S. Fritscher (SHC) def. Borges/Machen (UM); 8-4
2. Montegut/Hedrick (SHC) def. Parrott/Kolakoski (UM); 8-2
3. Smith/Rachel Hartley (UM) def. Pambianchi/Bourke (SHC); 8-5
1. Claudia Borges (UM) def. Tara Montegut (SHC); 6-1, 6-1
2. Rachel Hartley (UM) def. McCall Hedrick (SHC); 6-2, 6-0
3. Shelby Fritscher (SHC) def. Sam Parrott (UM); 6-0, 6-0
4. Lynne Fritscher (SHC) def. Treya Smith (UM); 6-1, 6-0
5. Gina Pambianchi (SHC) def. Nancy Machen (UM); 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (1)
6. Ruth Bourke (SHC) def. Emily Kolakoski (UM); 6-0, 6-1
Spring Hill (6-8, 2-2 SSAC West) will next host the University of New Orleans at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Center on Saturday at 10 a.m. followed by a match with Loyola University (La.) at 2 p.m. at the University of Mobile Tennis Courts.