The Spring Hill College women's tennis team lost a 9-0 decision to 11th rated Lindsey Wilson College at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Center on Tuesday morning at the 2012 NAIA Women's Tennis National Championship Tournament.
The Blue Raiders (16-3) led 3-0 after doubles play, but not without a tough challenge from the Badgers (9-5), who were making their first appearance in the national tournament since 2002. On both the No. 1 and No. 2 courts, Spring Hill led 3-2 before slipping behind 5-4 and eventually fading by final 8-4 scores. At the No. 3 court, senior Ruth Bourque of Houma, La., and sophomore Monica Castello of Mobile's UMS-Wright found themselves down 4-0, but rallied to make it a 5-6 score before falling 8-5.
In singles play, Lindsey Wilson's experience proved out as the Blue raiders sweep through all six courts to secure the 9-0 final score.
SHC head coach Michael Kreider said following the match, "I was proud of what our ladies did here today, especially on the doubles courts. This was a good showing for our first time back at this level and we showed ourselves that we are just a few points away from being consistent threats. This was a nice starting point from which we can begin building our future."
1. Trina Slapeka (LWC) def. Shelby Fritscher (SHC); 6-1, 6-2
2. Diana Gerlakh (LWC) def. McCall Hedrick (SHC); 6-2, 6-1
3. Slavica Milanovic (LWC) def. Tara Montegut (SHC); 6-1, 6-1
4. Laura Vergara (LWC) def. Elise Michaelis (SHC); 6-0, 6-2
5. Anna Gaprindashvili (LWC) def. Monica Castello (SHC); 6-0, 6-1
6. Rocio Cardo (LWC) def. Maggie Leeds (SHC); 6-1, 6-2
1. Slapeka/Milanovic (LWC) def. Fritscher/Montegut (SHC); 8-4
2. Gerlakh/Vergara (LWC) def. Michaelis/Hedrick (SHC); 8-4
3. Gaprindashvili/Cardo (LWC) def. Ruth Bourque/Castello (SHC); 8-5