The Spring Hill College women's tennis team lost a home conference match to the 2nd-ranked William Carey University Lady Crusaders in an 8-1 decision on Wednesday evening at the University of Mobile Tennis Courts.
The Lady Crusaders (5-4, 2-0 SSAC West) swept all three doubles courts and continued to roll on the singles courts by earning wins on all courts except No. 2 where senior Shelby Fritscher earned a hard-fought 2-6, 7-5 win in a 10-7 tie-breaking set and No. 6 where senior Caroline Hitt won in two sets..
1. Sarah Spruch (WCU) def. Elise Michaelis (SHC); 6-1, 6-0
2. Shelby Fritscher (SHC) def. Julia Angerman (WCU); 2-6, 7-5, (10-7)
3. Anastasiya Zvyagintesva (WCU) def. Tara Montegut (SHC); 6-1, 6-3
4. Malin Collin (WCU) def. Maggie Leeds (SHC); 6-1, 6-0
5. Layla Accorsi (WCU) def. Megan Gietl (SHC); 6-1, 6-2
6. Caroline Hitt (SHC) def. McKinsey Boss (WCU); 6-2, 6-2
1. Carola Orna/ Maja Vuzem (WCU) def. Fritscher/Montegut (SHC); 8-3
2. Spruch/Angerman (WCU) def. Michaelis/Hitt (SHC); 8-0
3. Collin/ Zvyagintesva (WCU) def. Leeds/Gietl (SHC); 8-0
Spring Hill (6-4, 1-2 SSAC West) will next play a conference match at No. 23 Belhaven University (4-3, 1-0 SSAC West) in Jackson, Miss., on Friday at 12:30 p.m. followed by a non-conference meeting with Tougaloo College (0-5) at 3 p.m.