The Spring Hill College women's tennis team opened the 2014 season with an 8-1 Southern States Athletic Conference (SSAC) loss to Loyola University (La.) at the University of Mobile Tennis Courts.
Loyola (2-3, 1-0 SSAC West) jumped out to a 3-0 lead after sweeping all three doubles courts over the Badgers and continued to roll in singles play winning on all courts except No. 4 where junior Megan Gietl took a 4-6, 7-5 (10-6) win in a tiebreaker decision.
1. Meghan de Baroncelli (LOY) def. Elise Michaelis (SHC); 6-0, 6-0
2. Kanda Borgononi (LOY) def. Kate Sotolongo (SHC); 6-2, 6-2
3. Melissa van Wuijckhuijse (LOY) def. Maggie Leeds (SHC); 6-2, 6-1
4. Megan Gietl (SHC) def. Wesley Dejoie (LOY); 4-6, 7-5 (10-6)
5. Alexa Mancuso (Loy) def. Allison Gmelich (SHC); 6-2, 6-2
6. Lauren Rosales (LOY) def. (SHC); forfeit
1. de Baroncelli/Borgononi (LOY) def. Michaelis/Leeds (SHC); 8-1
2. van Wuijckhuijse/ Rosales (LOY) def. Sotolongo/Gietl; 8-5
3. Dejoie/Mancuso (LOY) def. SHC); forfeit
Spring Hill (0-1, 0-1 SSAC West) will next face the Southern Wesleyan University Warriors (0-0, 0-0 SSAC East) in a conference match on Thursday at 1 p.m. at the Mobile Tennis Center.