The Spring Hill College men's tennis team opened the 2014 season with a 5-4 Southern States Athletic Conference (SSAC) win over Loyola University (La.) on Saturday afternoon at the University of Mobile Tennis Courts.
Spring Hill took a 2-1 lead over the Wolf Pack (1-4, 0-1 SSAC West) after doubles play with wins on the No. 2 and No. 3 courts and held on for the win with single court wins on Nos. 1, 4 and 5.
First year men's head coach John Dotson said following the match, "I'm very proud of how our team played and kept fighting in a very close match."
1. Alejandro Hastings (SHC) def. Trivesh Singh (LOY); 6-4, 6-2
2. Federico Mercado (LOY) def. Sebastian Arias (SHC); 3-6, 6-0 (10-6)
3. David Mayhall (LOY) def. Daniel Piper (SHC); 2-6, 6-2 (10-6)
4. John Asmar (SHC) def. Marcos Guayasamin (LOY); 6-1, 6-4
5. Sanders Edmonson (SHC) def. Eddie Garcia (LOY); 6-1, 6-0
6. Tony Benjamin (LOY) def. John Paul Espinosa (SHC); 7-6, 4-6 (10-7)
1. Mercado/Mayhall (LOY) def. Hastings/Arias (SHC); 8-6
2. Piper/Asmar (SHC) def. Singh/Guayasamin (LOY); 9-7
3. Lee Leavitt/Edmondson (SHC) def. Garcia/Benjamin (LOY); 9-7
The Badgers (1-0, 1-0 SSAC West) will next host Southern Wesleyan University (0-0, 0-0 SSAC East) in a conference match on Thursday at the Copeland-Cox (Mobile) Tennis Center beginning at 1 p.m.