The Spring Hill College women's tennis team (9-5) lost to the University of Mobile in the semifinal round of the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference Women's Tennis Tournament by a score of 5-1 in Jackson, Miss. Mobile now advances to the finals versus Xavier University-New Orleans and secures an at-large bid to the NAIA National Women's Tournament.
The Lady Badgers were down 2-1 following the doubles matches as Catherine Thames and Allison Symulevich fell to Josey Soares and Claudia Borges 8-0 in the No. 1 match. Paige Malone and Abbey Angelle were topped by Mobile's Mayra Leal and Pam Boykin in an 8-5 decision at the No. 2 court. SHC teammates Lynne Fritscher and Alex Tovar took the No. 3 match with an 8-5 decision over Michelle Machen and Camilla Hovden. Tovar and Fritscher close their season with an undefeated record in doubles play.
In singles action, Symulevich and Thames lost the Nos. 1 and 2 matches to Soares and Borges by identical scores of 6-1, 6-0 while No. 5 Gina Pambianchi also fell 6-1, 6-0 to Leal.
1. Josey Soares (UM) def. Allison Symulevich (SHC); 6-1, 6-0
2. Claudia Borges (UM) def. Catherine Thames (SHC); 6-1, 6-0
3. Abbey Angelle (SHC) vs. Pam Boykin (UM); 6-2, 2-1 (DNF)
4. Lynne Fritscher (SHC) vs. Michelle Machen (UM); 6-2, 2-1 (DNF)
5. Mayra Leal (UM) def. Gina Pambianchi (SHC); 6-1, 6-0
6. Alex Tovar (SHC) vs. Camilla Hovden (UM); 6-4, 2-1 (DNF)
1. Soares and Borges (UM) def. Thames and Symulevich (SHC); 8-0
2. Leal and Boykin (UM) def. Paige Malone and Angelle (SHC); 8-5
3. Fritscher and Tovar (SHC) def. Machen and Camilla Hovden (UM); 8-5