The Spring Hill College men's tennis team (2-9, 2-4 GCAC) took its second win of the 2008 season with an exciting 5-4 win over Belhaven College (2-6, 1-6 GCAC) on Monday afternoon. The Badgers trailed 2-1 following doubles play, but rebounded to take four of the six singles matches to win the event.
The Spring Hill doubles team of Evan Davis and Dane Hinton fell on the No. 1 court 8-5 to Belhaven's Gabriel Prado and Josh Sturgis and Chris Link and Jimmy Chassaing fell 8-6 at No. 2 to the Crusaders' Hunt Mitchell and Taps Murove. At No. 3, Nick Rayburn and Johnny Ngamvilay defeated Jim Strickland and Harris Brabston 8-2 to salvage a win to keep the Badgers in the hunt going into singles play.
Hinton's nail-biter three-set victory at No. 2 over Murove proved to be a crucial turn of events as the Badgers were able to take a three-set win at No. 1 with Davis over Prado and SHC's Ngamvilay won in straight sets at No. 6.
Spring Hill hosts Tougaloo College on Saturday beginning at 2 p.m. at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Center.
1. Evan Davis (SHC) def. Gabriel Prado (BC); 7-6 (10-3), 7-5
2. Dane Hinton (SHC) def. Taps Murove (BC); 6-3, 6-7 (10-6), 6-3
3. Chris Link (SHC) def. Hunt Mitchell (BC); 6-0, 6-0
4. Josh Sturgis (BC) def. Jimmy Chassaing (SHC); default
5. Harris Brabston (BC) def. Nick Rayburn (SHC); 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
6. Johnny Ngamvilay (SHC) def. Jim Strickland (BC); 6-3, 6-1
1. Prado and Sturgis (BC) def. Davis and Hinton (SHC); 8-5
2. Mitchell and Murove (BC) def. Chassaing and Link (SHC); 8-6
3. Rayburn and Ngamvilay (SHC) def. Strickland and Brabston (BC); 8-2