The Spring Hill College men's tennis team (1-8, 1-3 GCAC) took its first win of the 2008 season with 7-2 win over Belhaven College (1-5, 1-5 GCAC) on Saturday afternoon at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Center. SHC jumped out to 2-1 lead in doubles and then won five of the six the singles matches.
The Spring Hill's doubles team of Evan Davis and Brendan Gallagher won on the No. 1 court 8-2 over Belhaven's Hunt Mitchell and Taps Murove. Chris Link and Jimmy Chassaing fell 9-8 (10-5) at No. 2 to the Crusaders' Gabriel Prado and Josh Sturgis. At No. 3, Nick Rayburn and Johnny Ngamvilay defeated Jim Strickland and Harris Brabston 8-3.
The Badgers won on all but one of the singles courts as Chassaing withdrew from his match versus Sturgis.
Spring Hill hosts No. 24 Xavier University (7-6, 5-0 GCAC) on Thursday beginning at 2 p.m. at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Center.
1. Evan Davis (SHC) def. Gabriel Prado (BC); 7-5, 6-4.
2. Brendan Gallagher (SHC) def. Hunt Mitchell (BC); 6-1, 6-1.
3. Chris Link (SHC) def. Taps Murove (BC); 6-0, 6-3.
4. Josh Sturgis (BC) def. Jimmy Chassaing (SHC); 6-2, default
5. Nick Rayburn (SHC) def. Jim Strickland (BC); 6-0, 6-0.
6. Johnny Ngamvilay (SHC) def. Harris Brabston (BC); 6-0, 6-1.
1. Davis and Gallagher (SHC) def. Mitchell and Murove (BC); 8-2
2. Prado and Sturgis (BC) def. Chassaing and Link (SHC); 9-8 (10-5)
3. Rayburn and Ngamvilay (SHC) def. Strickland and Brabston (BC); 8-3