The Spring Hill College women's tennis team (4-3, 1-2 GCAC) just missed a major upset of No. 23 Xavier University-New Orleans (8-4, 5-0 GCAC) at the University of New Orleans Wow Café Tennis Center on Friday afternoon. Leading 2-1 after the doubles matches, the Lady Badgers saw their advantage slip away in singles play and ended up falling by the score of 5-4.
The Lady Badgers' No. 1 team of Catherine Thames and Allison Symulevich lost to the Xavier pair of Dominique Bell and Anastesia Opata with an 8-2 decision, but the other two courts faired much better. Abbey Angelle and Paige Malone defeated Yuliem Dominguez and Colleen McArthur 8-5 in the No. 2 match while their SHC teammates Lynne Fritscher and Alex Tovar won 8-2 on No. 3 over Alexandra Broussard and Melissa DeLoach.
Unfortunately for the Lady Badgers, XU regrouped for the singles matches and won four of the six courts for a come-from-behind victory. Fritscher and Tovar picked up the wins at the Nos. 5 and 6 positions.
The Spring Hill women host the University of Montevallo at the Mobile Tennis Center at 9 a.m. on Saturday followed at 2 p.m. by a men's and women's conference match with Belhaven College.
1. Dominique Bell (XU) def. Allison Symulevich (SHC); 6-2, 6-1
2. Anastesia Opata (XU) def. Catherine Thames (SHC); 6-1, 6-1
3. Yuliem Dominguez (XU) def. Abbey Angelle (SHC); 6-1, 6-1
4. Colleen McArthur (XU) def. Paige Malone (SHC); 6-2, 6-3
5. Lynne Fritscher (SHC) def. Alexandra Broussard (XU); 6-2, 7-5
6. Alex Tovar (SHC) def. Melissa DeLoach (XU); 6-2, 6-2
1. Bell and Opata (XU) def. Symulevich and Thames (SHC); 8-2
2. Malone and Angelle (SHC) def. Dominguez and McArthur (XU); 8-5
3. Fritscher and Tovar (SHC) def. Broussard and DeLoach (XU) 8-2.
Order of Finish -- Doubles: 1, 3, 2. Singles: 2, 1, 6, 3, 4, 5.